Despite the lousy wet weather of April, our fruit bushes have been doing nicely. Okay fine, it’s really weedy, but I don’t want to think about that too much. However, no pesky nibblers or mould or anything nasty really.
We had always intended to build a fruit cage as there are an awful lot of wood pigeons and magpies around our site. I had worried about them snitching our lovely ripe fruit, but I was warned that they will also go after the fruit flowers. Makes sense, with so little food about, flower nectar must be irresistible to them. So we decided we should get a cage built and up as soon as possible. Simon got inspired and did up a drawing in Google Sketch Up.
Simon got the frame work up and I ordered some netting from eBay. I stopped by the plot just before the weekend and sure enough I caught two wood pigeons happily snacking away in the strawberry patch. After running about, yelping and waving my arms about like demented thing, I realised we had reached a Code Red situation with the fruit patch.
So on Sunday we unravelled several square meters of netting, armed ourselves with a B&Q Value wood stapler, we started to get the netting up. Even though the process resulted in me using the kind of language that would make a sailor blush, we did manage to get the netting on. At one point I managed to get myself tangled in one section. As I struggled to free myself, Scott declared, “look it works, it’s catching birds already!”
However, I did manage to misjudge how much netting we needed, so the back and far side of the cage aren’t really covered. I’ve ordered more netting and I think it should be fine in the meantime, I just hope we don’t get an attack from a group of savant pigeons that are able to figure out how to get in.